+ -

Pages

Wednesday, March 04, 2009

The Blind Man and The Chicken Head


There is this story of a blind man that, one day, all of a sudden started to see. In that narrow time of vision, he caught the sight of a chicken’s head that was walking nearby then he lost sight again. All he saw was that chicken; that was the only image he had in his mind. Later on every time someone tried to describe something to him he would say, “compare that to a chicken head for me.”

I’m sometimes overconfident and act like I understand a certain field based on too little input or knowledge. I’ve found out over the years that to be plain foolish and so arrogant.

I mean I’m a teacher by profession, an English teacher at that, and I started to visualize a person with no knowledge of English or English teaching speaking as though he knew everything based on his recent knowledge of the ABC. He would be so blindsided that you could expose him from every direction without him being able to respond.

I’ve written an article somewhere in this blog about seeing the dots and connecting them where I explain that many people have the ability to draw the lines connecting the dots; in other words they have intelligence and understanding, but the picture that would result would be wrong because they don’t have all the dots (knowledge). Intelligence is innate endowment that many have, but knowledge is something you have to seek.

5 Khalid's Blog: The Blind Man and The Chicken Head There is this story of a blind man that, one day, all of a sudden started to see. In that narrow time of vision, he caught the sight of a ch...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Assalamualaikum w.w
I'm muslim from Medan, North Sumatra Indonesia

< >